[Dovecot] Unit testing

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 10 00:03:39 EEST 2009

Unit testing is slowly going forward in Dovecot. In v2.0 tree all the
unit tests are now run when you do "make check". They're also run on
"make distcheck", which is what I use when building releases or nightly
snapshots. So as soon as I start building nightly v2.0 snapshots I
should start getting mails every night if the unit tests fail. And I can
no longer make a release if a unit test fails. (Unit tests never get run
manually - I once fixed a unit test that had been failing for months.)

Besides that, I started trying to add unit tests to lib-index. After
some hours of refactoring the code I finally managed to get
mail-transaction-log-view and mail-index-transaction to a condition
where unit tests could be added to them without too much pain. I didn't
really add that many unit tests there yet though.

I'll probably slowly continue adding more tests and refactoring the code
more to allow more unit tests, but if anyone else finds they have
nothing better to do, now's a good time to add more tests :) Especially
lib/, lib-mail/ and lib-imap/ should already be easily testable and
they're missing a lot of tests.