[Dovecot] Clients and dovecot-uidlist

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 31 20:15:07 EEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 19:08 +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> Another solution would be to DNS round-robin on 2 servers runing dovecot but I
> think I've read on the dovecot wiki that it wasn't a good idea. Instead, I
> understood that I could use the IMAP proxy to send the same user on the same
> server.

Right, it'll easily cause all kinds of caching related problems even
with the mail_nfs_*=yes settings (which also slow things down).

> However, I wonder if it's not overkill since once the client has resolved the
> name, the TCP connexion has no reason to change ? But some clients open more
> than one connexion for one user. That can be a problem I guess...

And some users use multiple clients.

BTW. If you're going to run Postfix on both servers and both deliver
mails to any users, you're still going to have the same caching problems
if you're using Dovecot's deliver.