[Dovecot] [Bug] dovecot deliver v1.2.1 segfaults

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Jul 20 19:53:15 EEST 2009

Nikita Koshikov schreef:
> Hello list,
>
> I have noticed strange dovecot behavior with exim system-filter.
> I'm using exim+dovecot setup. My exim configuration have system filter enable, which restrict some attachments, like exe, vbs etc. When message with forbidden attachment received, exim accept the message, then construct bounce-message(Reject reason + original message) and returns it to sender. Trying to deliver such messages, I always get segmentation faults and message stayed in exim's queue.
> Others common delivers work fine. This only happens with bouncing system-filter messages.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) Create message with forbiden attachment
> 2) Send message.
> 3) Get segmentation fault.

[...]
> Jul 20 13:19:53 deliver(koshikov.n at domain.com): Info: sieve: using sieve path for user's script: /data/mail/domain.com/koshikov.n/.dovecot.sieve
> Jul 20 13:19:53 deliver(koshikov.n at domain.com): Info: sieve: executed before user's script(1): /etc/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
> Jul 20 13:19:53 deliver(koshikov.n at domain.com): Info: sieve: opening script /etc/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
> Jul 20 13:19:53 deliver(koshikov.n at domain.com): Info: sieve: opening script /data/mail/domain.com/koshikov.n/.dovecot.sieve
Since it fails hereafter it would not surprise me when this is a Sieve
problem. Could you provide:

1) The Sieve scripts involved in the problem (anonymized if you care):

/etc/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
/data/mail/domain.com/koshikov.n/.dovecot.sieve

2) An e-mail message that is known to trigger this failure

> deliver[9476]: segfault at 0 ip b7e16713 sp bfa0ba2c error 4 in libc-2.9.so[b7da4000+13d000]
> deliver[11572]: segfault at 0 ip b7f41713 sp bfb38b4c error 4 in libc-2.9.so[b7ecf000+13d000]
> deliver[12433]: segfault at 0 ip b7e7e713 sp bfb73b8c error 4 in libc-2.9.so[b7e0c000+13d000]

If your Dovecot is compiled with debugging symbols enabled you can
obtain a useful trace by executing deliver in gdb:

gdb --args /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -p mail.eml

Type 'r' and press enter and wait until it crashes. Type 'bt' to obtain
the back trace.

Alternatively, you can obtain a core dump, but I must say that I have
little experience with producing one. Other people on this list can help
you with this. Basic information is available at:

http://www.dovecot.org/bugreport.html

> plugin:
[...]
>   sieve: ~/.dovecot.sieve
>   sieve_dir: ~/sieve
>   sieve_extensions: +imapflags +notify
I see that you have enabled deprecated notify support. What version are
you using? The notify support provided by the last release (0.1.8) is
not compatible with CMUSieve and it is therefore not (yet) useful to
enable this.

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch