[Dovecot] Sieve vacation not working

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:55:09 EEST 2009

I've been trying all night to get vacation working in my
.dovecot.sieve file. The way our email works is we have one account on
dovecot which serves my mail and my wife's and we use procmail and
sieve to put the emails in different folders depending on who it's
for. I'm trying to set up a vacation reply on my wife's email address
(aaaaaaaa at optus* below) so people can update to her new address.

Here's my file with the email addresses masked:

require ["fileinto", "vacation"];
if address :is "to" "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at ozemail.com.au" {
   fileinto "Phill_OzEmail_Folder";
   stop;
} elsif address :is "to" "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy at optusnet.com.au" {
   fileinto "Phill_Optus_Folder";
   stop;
} elsif address :matches "to" "aaaaaaaa at optus*" {
   vacation "Please update my email address to bbbbbbbbb at exemail.com.au";
   fileinto "Sarah_Optus_Folder";
   stop;
} else {
   keep;
   stop;
}

The problem I'm having is that no auto-replies are sent. I removed
.dovecot.lda-dupes and that didn't help; so then I touched it and now
it's a 0 byte file and that didn't help. There is no dovecot.sieve.err
file and I can't see anything in /var/log/dovecot.log which gives any
message about why this wouldn't work.

The emails to aaaaaaa at optus* get filed into the right folder so I know
the matching is working.

I've also tried a reject recipe and that worked fine, so I know that
it can send an email if it chooses to.

So it's a complete black box mystery as to why it just won't send a reply.

Regards,
Phill