[Dovecot] deliver and qmail

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Wed Jan 28 16:09:21 EET 2009

On Jan 28, 2009, at 2:56 AM, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Tim Traver wrote:
>
>> ok, after looking at all of the posts that I've found, and trying
>> numerous settings, I am a little stumped as to how to set up the
>> deliver
>> program with qmail to get everything correct.
>
> qmail is way obsolete and buggy.
> http://mandree.home.pages.de/qmail-bugs.html

Yes, in it's default form.  Hence netqmail.

> I've migrated away to Postfix ages before Postfix 1.0 was released and
> never rued that change a split second...

and I suppose you've never upgraded it - right? :P

>> Ultimately, I really don't want to do a lookup of the home dir if I
>> don't have to. I'd rather specify the stuff in the .qmail-user
>> file for
>> that particular user to avoid the extra step.
>
> ...are home directory lookups so very expensive on your system?
> Hard to
> believe. I always found that qmail's (and qmail-send's) queue spooling
> behaviour was what really hurted, with a dozen (or so) synchronous
> writes for just spooling the message into the queue...

The bigger problem, other than a minor hardware/filesystem upgrade,
is does deliver obey .qmail files in the user's home directory?
It doesn't seem like it.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, because if
it doesn't, you'll need to modify at least how user's vacations and
forwards are done.

Rick