[Dovecot] redirecting temp email files to another directory

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 20 21:10:57 EET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 11:00 -0800, JANE CUA wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> I believe disabling file locking will fix the problem.  I have search other sites about file locking and sendmail, file locking may cause sendmail to do Denial of Service.  I have to get people to use the new squirrelmail + Dovecot server again.
> Is there a great chance the files would get corrupted because I do not have file locking enabled in Dovecot?

If the locking doesn't work right then yes, the mbox files will easily
get corrupted. So you should make sure all programs accessing the mbox
also lock it using fcntl locking before removing the dotlock.

But the dotlocks should normally work fine too. Like I said before,
check if you have errors in Dovecot's logs. Maybe they'll reveal a
larger problem and after you solve that the dotlock problems will be
gone as well.