[Dovecot] linuxconf migration story

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 13 03:22:50 EET 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:21 +0200, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
> >> - Is there something to configure to get rid of this ?
> >>

> > Where are IMAP's non-INBOX mailboxes located? The index files should be
> > in the same directory.
> >
> Since this is a (previous) linuxconf installation, they are located in
> ``/vhome/<domain>/home/<user>''
> This is an NFS mounted directory in my case.

Are there multiple servers accessing it or just one? If just one there
are really no problems. If multiple then there might be problems, but it
still might be better to keep them on NFS.

> Would I want to store the indexes there after disabling mmap(), using
> fcntl locks and adding ``mail_privileged_group = mail'' to dovecot.conf ?

mmap disabling is good, fcntl locks are the default but why would you
need the mail_privileged_group? http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS anyway lists
the issues.

> >> Also, I have written a somewhat sloppy patch to determine the domain
> >> from the server's IP. That way it is not necessary to persuade all users
> >> to switch to logging in as ``user at domain'' (which I've tried with very
> >> limited success).
> >> Would this be the correct place to post the patch and discuss ?
> >>

> > Go ahead and post it. But I'm not sure if it really belongs to Dovecot
> > itself, since it's possible to do with several passdbs already (at least
> > SQL and checkpassword).
> >
> Attached. Rather crude though...

Ah, reverse DNS lookups again. I really hate the blocking DNS lookups.
Especially when DNS server happens to be answering really slowly you
start getting these weird hangs that are difficult to debug.. Some day
I'm thinking about including some asynchronous DNS lookup library with
Dovecot that could do these lookups.