[Dovecot] linuxconf migration story

Thanos Chatziathanassiou tchatzi at arx.net
Mon Jan 12 21:21:11 EET 2009

O/H Timo Sirainen έγραψε:
> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 16:26 +0200, Thanos Chatziathanassiou wrote:
>
>> ``Dec 24 15:36:29 mail dovecot: POP3(user at domain):
>> stat(/var/run/dovecot/imap-index/domain/user/.imap/INBOX) failed:
>> Permission denied (euid=60107 egid=231 missing +x perm:
>> /var/run/dovecot/imap-index/domain)''
>> errors.
>>

> /var/run is a pretty bad place for indexes. Either disable them
> completely or point them to a directory that doesn't get deleted on
> reboots.

Indeed...though I do not reboot all that often and I overlooked this.
>> - Is there something to configure to get rid of this ?
>>

> Where are IMAP's non-INBOX mailboxes located? The index files should be
> in the same directory.

Since this is a (previous) linuxconf installation, they are located in
``/vhome/<domain>/home/<user>''
This is an NFS mounted directory in my case.
Would I want to store the indexes there after disabling mmap(), using
fcntl locks and adding ``mail_privileged_group = mail'' to dovecot.conf ?
>> Also, I have written a somewhat sloppy patch to determine the domain
>> from the server's IP. That way it is not necessary to persuade all users
>> to switch to logging in as ``user at domain'' (which I've tried with very
>> limited success).
>> Would this be the correct place to post the patch and discuss ?
>>

> Go ahead and post it. But I'm not sure if it really belongs to Dovecot
> itself, since it's possible to do with several passdbs already (at least
> SQL and checkpassword).

Attached. Rather crude though...