[Dovecot] download IMAP folders via POP3

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 8 22:13:56 EET 2009

On Fri, 2008-12-26 at 14:12 +0100, Jakob Grießmann wrote:
> Hi Timo,
>
> > With v1.2 it's less ugly with virtual mailboxes.
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual
> >
> > But it doesn't sound like such a good idea to actually use. That just allows
> > the POP3 client to easily download+delete all messages from all mailboxes..
>
> thanks for the pointer, that looks like a nice option! How can I give
> the POP3 daemon give ~/Maildir/virtual/all (as per example) as main
> inbox?

namespace private {
  prefix = virtual/
  location = virtual:~/Maildir/virtual
  inbox = yes
}
namespace private {
  prefix =
  inbox = no
}

Then create ~/Maildir/virtual/INBOX/dovecot-virtual file

> Can inbox directories be configured separately for POP3 and
> IMAP?

Yes, but it's kind of kludgy. What userdb are you using? Basically you'd
have to make both namespaces have inbox=no and make userdb return
namespace_1_inbox=yes or namespace_2_inbox=yes extra field depending on
if the user is logging in with pop3 or imap.