[Dovecot] mbox to Maildir conversion

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Oct 23 07:11:34 EEST 2008

On Wednesday, October 22 at 11:35 PM, quoth Albert E. Whale:
> I am currently testing a single user, and have successfully converted
> the mail messages from mbox to Maildir format, and now I am setting up
> the procmail tool to place the messages into the correct folder.  I have
> been following the http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/MailFormat formula,
> but now have a question.
>
> New Messages are now being placed into the ~user/Maildir/new folder.

Procmail understands Maildir natively; you don't have to tell it to
put messages into the "new" folder, you should just tell it to put
things into the Maildir folder and end the line with a /, like so:

     # correct!
     :0
     ~user/Maildir/

     # incorrect
     :0
     ~user/Maildir/new/

     # also incorrect
     :0
     ~user/Maildir/new

If you specify the "new" directory, you're either telling procmail to
treat that directory like an MH folder, which is wrong, or you're
telling procmail that the "new" directory is a Maildir, in which case
it will create another "new" directory within that directory (along
with a "tmp" and "cur" directories).

~Kyle
--
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life. So I