[Dovecot] displaying IMAP folders that are in ~/mail/ at same level as inbox

David London d.london at live.com
Thu Oct 23 06:47:56 EEST 2008

> El Miércoles, 22 de Octubre de 2008 a las 04:04, David London escribió:
>> Thanks Laurent (and Charles re the age of the dovecot software),
>>
>> It looks like we've got what you say is needed (see configuration file
>> below).  In addition the test accounts are brand new ones on the test
>> system, not ones that have been moved over so .mailboxlist is not there -
>> just .subscriptions
>>
>> Maybe what I'm trying to do is just not possible ...
>
> You can get it in the client. For example, in thunderbird, in Server
> settings->advanced should be something like "IMAP server directory" (I'm
> using an spanish version of thunderbird, so don't know the exact english name
> for the option). Similar options exists for other clients.
>
> HTH.
> --
> Joseba Torre. CIDIR Bizkaia.

Thanks Jose,

Yes
in the advanced options on email clients there is always a place to put
the root folder path or (some similar name) and on the old server I
used ~/mail/ in all of the email clients (thunderbird, outlook,
seamonkey etc) and that worked fine.

Doing that on the new
dovecot based server produces the effect I've described - a folder
called mail visible at the same level as inbox and the other IMAP
folders inside that.  On the older imapd based server doing the same
thing produced a view of inbox with no mail folder ... just the IMAP
folders in it displayed at the same level as inbox.

Regards,

David