[Dovecot] shared mailboxes in 1.2 question

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Mon Oct 6 19:24:23 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen schrieb:

>>> Unless you manually subscribe to the shared mailboxes, they're not
>>> visible to clients. Mailbox listing isn't supported currently.
>>>
>> Hi Timo,
>> understand manually subscribe is a "must have" currently
>> i will test this
>> will you change this up to stable 1.2 ?
>
> You mean will I add support for listing shared mailboxes? I'm not really
> planning on doing that myself. Or there are actually two parts:
>
> 1) Listing mailboxes under a specific user (e.g. LIST ""
> shared/username/*). This is a bit annoying to implement because of
> LIST-EXTENDED extension which allows giving multiple wildcards (e.g.
> LIST "" (shared/user1/* shared/user2/* shared/user3/*), but it shouldn't
> be too difficult. I might implement this.
>
> 2) Listing users who have mailboxes that are shared to you (e.g. LIST ""
> shared/*). This is difficult to do with good performance with Dovecot's
> current code. You don't really want Dovecot to look into 1000 users'
> maildirs to see if they happen to have some mailboxes that are shared to
> you..

Hi Timo,

i can imagine that it has not very good performance
anouncing shared folders in other users mailboxes over imap
but i cant think by another use implementing shared users folders
in real world scenarios.

Normally this is handeled that way that users edit their shared folders
flags in subfolders ( maybe with recursive rights) of their mailboxes by
their own and get visiable to the the other users ( which have at last
read and list rigths ) via imap acl
perhaps they must do an new imap lookup to notice the sharing.

shared user folder means to me the possibility that users can
give acl attributes ( list, read etc ) by their own with
i.e horde webmail and will shown up in the imap shared list by other
users after imap search, otherwise you always need some admin ( perhaps
with shell permissions ) for editing subcriptions and acls which not
really works in real world scenarios on bigger mailservers with many
virtual domains

perhaps performance can be made better using database(file)
i think cyrus does it that way somehow,

if you wont include shared folders functional in somehow that way
like cyrus does , dovecot wont be the first choice if advanced sharing
funktions in virtual domains/mailboxes are needed ( for sure, others
will be very happy with the current solution anyway )

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria