[Dovecot] Folder aliases

Thu Nov 13 13:28:34 EET 2008

On 11/13/2008, Steffen Kaiser (skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de) wrote:
> I wonder whether the users would accept, if the sent items are
> located in one specified folder (say "sent-mail"), but the other
> aliases are "virtual" folders, which are always empty and when a
> message is placed there, it is placed into the main folder actually.
> The users (of such badly written IMAP clients, in which you cannot
> select the actual name of the Sent-Folder) can not use the built-in
> sent-folder anymore, but need to select one "normal"-looking folder
> named "sent-mail" explicitly.

Maybe a better way would be to use namespaces? Have an Outlook specific
namespace (since it and OE are apparently the buggiest clients in this
regard)... then you'd just need to:

1. Have a way to define which folder to use in  the namespace, and

2. make sure all of your Outlook clients use the proper namespace.

I *certainly* don't want to be forced to use 'sent-mail' in my Tbird...

--

Best regards,

Charles