[Dovecot] DoveCot IMAP and "inconsistent state" messages

Christer Mjellem Strand christer at mjellem.no
Tue Jul 22 02:11:33 EEST 2008

> I need some help troubleshooting this problem.  It only shows up with IMAP
> connections.  I initially thought it was related to SquirrelMail (because
> it gives me an 'EXPUNGE' error), but after attempting to send IMAP commands
> directly to the server as shown below, I'm thinking there is something else
> going on.

Did you ever figure out this problem? I'm having what appears to be the exact
same issue with SquirrelMail. Running Dovecot 1.0.14 (Maildir) and
Squirrelmail 1.4.15, both from and on Debian. Procmail is occasionally
dropping in mail in the background, which the previous message indicated
might be related.

Debug log shows:

Jul 21 14:27:41 betty dovecot: IMAP(foobar): Maildir
/var/vpopmail/domains/foobar.baz/foobar/Maildir sync: UID inserted in the
middle of mailbox (4412 > 4385, file = 1214817167.16333_0.betty:2,RST)
Jul 21 14:27:41 betty dovecot: IMAP(foobar): Disconnected: Mailbox is in
inconsistent state, please relogin.

Symptom is us the typically unhelpful expunge error message from SM, or even
connection dropped on regular fetches, and user is logged out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as none of my testing thus far have
made any difference, and I can't seem to find any hints elsewhere.
Could upgrading to 1.1 help at all? (I'd rather not try unless I know for
sure)

TIA

--
   Christer Mjellem Strand               yitzhaq
   GSM +47 922 000 12     JID: yitzhaq at jabber.no