[Dovecot] Dovecot + Sieve - and passdb/userdb

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Sep 7 03:24:08 EEST 2007

Thanks to everybody who chipped in.  I came up with a workaround that
seems fairly simple - I'm actually worried that it's working too well!

I'm using a pure virtual user setup, storing a minimal amount in LDAP.
The whole mail tree is stored under /var/mail, and it's all owned by
vmail.mail.  For purely selfish reasons, I'm doing everything possible
to avoid storing the mail folder in LDAP.  So I came up with the following:

Postfix is capable of generating the mail folder path via LDAP
manipulation, and I was working on some wrapper scripts for delivery
agents - but since I've now totally converted to Dovecot's deliver agent
that's immaterial.

  passdb ldap, just looking up the password.
  userdb static {
    args = uid=5000 gid=8 home=/var/mail/%d/%n mail=/var/mail/%d/%n
allow_all_users=yes
  }
  plugin {
    sieve = sieve
  }

Deliver + sieve is working great.  By setting the sieve variable to
"sieve", a non-hidden file, it doesn't appear in the folder list.  I
made a similar change to pysieved to use a non-hidden folder - in
combination with avelsieve and squirrelmail I now have a
user-maintainable server-side filter solution.  Awesome!

Is there a hidden "gotcha" I'm missing here?  It's doing exactly what I
want!

P.S.  what's the "nice" parameter that can be listed in args?

--
Daniel
A spam trap for your crawler pleasure: listpost at amfes.com