[Dovecot] Dovecot + Sieve

pod pod at herald.ox.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 18:01:46 EEST 2007

    DM> I did make a discovery - hardcoding the sieve path, without
    DM> variables, e.g. sieve = /var/mail/amfes.com/dmiller/sieve -
    DM> worked!

    DM> Is there a problem using the domain / user variables in the
    DM> configuration file?

get_sieve_path() from cmusieve-plugin.c doesn't do % expansions.  The
result of get_sieve_path() names a file that gets processed.

Here's what it does:

  - look at sieve var
    - if it is set but empty no sieve processing will occur at all
      (i.e. sieve_global_path, see below, will _not_ be considered)
    - if it doesn't begin with a '/' prepend $HOME/
    - if it is not set then use ~/.dovecot.sieve (which is equivalent to
      $HOME/.dovecot.sieve in this case)

If the file found above doesn't exist (strictly speaking if stat(2)
returns a negative result) use sieve_global_path.  If that is not set, for
backwards compatibilty, use global_script_path.  Note that whatever gets
returned by get_sieve_path() is expected to name a _file_ containing
sieve statements.