[Dovecot] o/s tuning for imap

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Sep 6 22:59:01 EEST 2007

Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday, September  4 at 08:26 PM, quoth Russell E. Meek:
>> OS related tweaks, probably not.  However you could utilize a imap
>> proxy such as up-imapproxy which if using FreeBSD is in ports.
>>
>> Visit: http://www.imapproxy.org/ to learn more.
>>
>> This should relieve the load on Dovecot.
>
> We found that on our server, *not* using imapproxy improved our
> performance. We used to use imapproxy to great effect when we were using
> BincIMAP, but Dovecot is so darn fast (and caches its own
> authentication) that all imapproxy added was additional inter-process
> communication (translation: slower than just using Dovecot alone).
>
> ~Kyle

My understanding is that webmail clients like squirrelmail open, then
close connections on each http transaction that requires a connection to
the imap server, so imapproxy's caching of connections saves you having
to re-open connections to the backend server. That's essentially why my
original question included "what about time_wait", since I was concerned
that squirrelmail could leave a LOT of connections in a TIME_WAIT state.

Thanks for your other suggestions,
Ken

--
Ken Anderson