[Dovecot] o/s tuning for imap

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Sep 6 22:31:14 EEST 2007

On Tuesday, September  4 at 08:26 PM, quoth Russell E. Meek:
> OS related tweaks, probably not.  However you could utilize a imap
> proxy such as up-imapproxy which if using FreeBSD is in ports.
>
> Visit: http://www.imapproxy.org/ to learn more.
>
> This should relieve the load on Dovecot.

We found that on our server, *not* using imapproxy improved our
performance. We used to use imapproxy to great effect when we were
using BincIMAP, but Dovecot is so darn fast (and caches its own
authentication) that all imapproxy added was additional inter-process
communication (translation: slower than just using Dovecot alone).

~Kyle
--
Only a mediocre person is always at his best.
                                                    -- Somerset Maugham