[Dovecot] Index Prob

Kevin Richter kric0999 at uni-hildesheim.de
Fri Feb 16 12:18:28 UTC 2007

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 21:42 +0100, Kevin Richter wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have a problem with rc19 (sorry, i have no time at the moment to
>> uptime) and homedirs and maildirs mounted via NFS on Solaris10
> ..
>> dovecot: Feb 15 21:17:55 Error: POP3(ssal0041): Timeout while waiting
>> for shared lock for index file /home/ssal0041/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index
>
> So, index files are stored in NFS and it's timeouting. Do you have
> multiple computers accessing simultaneously the same users' mails?

Yes, i have. But its only one Dovecot at all. So only one instance is
trying to lock these dovecot index files.
The older, other POP and IMAP daemons are using other index files.

It may be possible, that the INBOX (/var/mail/username) is accessed at
the same time from two different locations via NFS.

> I'm guessing the problem here has to do with NFS lockd, since normally
> dovecot.index file can't be write-locked very long. Try setting
> lock_method=dotlock. And you have mmap_disable=yes, right?

Yes, of course, mmap_disable=yes

The other config in that region is now (stripped all unimportant comments):

##
## Mail processes
##

mail_debug = yes
#mail_log_prefix = "%Us(%u): "
#mail_read_mmaped = no
mmap_disable = yes
#mmap_no_write = no
#dotlock_use_excl = no
lock_method = dotlock
mail_drop_priv_before_exec = no
#verbose_proctitle = no
first_valid_uid = 500
#last_valid_uid = 0

It seems to work now. But lets wait and see.

Thanks :)