[Dovecot] Public folders using NAMESPACE

Joakim Ryden jo at systemadministrator.org
Tue Apr 17 13:52:00 EEST 2007

On Tue, April 17, 2007 3:48 am, Joakim Ryden wrote:
> On Tue, April 17, 2007 2:29 am, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 02:14 -0700, Joakim Ryden wrote:
>>> I've been trying to research how to (or if possible at all) implement public
>>> folders using the namespace feature on a server with multiple virtual
>>> domains.
>>> After about an hour of looking around I'm a little confused. :)
>>
>> Did you read this? http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes
>>
>> I now added a link there from ACL page.
>
> Thanks Timo! That's pretty helpful. I think I'm still missing something though.
> I have the following configuration:
>

> namespace public {
>   separator = .
>   prefix = Public Folders.
>   location = maildir:/var/mailstore/shared-folders/%d/Maildir
> }
>
> namespace private {
>   separator = .
>   prefix =
>   inbox = yes
> }
>
> With this, "Public Folders" shows up (testing with Thunderbird) but not as an
> italic special folder (does that make sense?) as it does on all other accounts I
> have on other servers which support public folders. I created a folder here:
>
> /var/mailstore/shared-folders/domain.com/Maildir/.Announcements
>
> which also shows up nicely, I can copy email in there and subscribe and
> unsubsribe to this subfolder, but clicking on "Public Folders" gives: Mailbox
> doesn't exist: Public Folders. which I'm sure is because I've missed or
> misunderstood something :)  Any ideas?
>
> Cheers!
>
> --Jo

Ok, I'm a dumb ass. If I would actually use my eyes I would see:

"Another problem is that although the namespace prefix shows up as a normal
looking mailbox, Dovecot doesn't allow subscribing to it because it's not a real
mailbox. This will be fixed in later versions."

on the wiki page. Nevermind me :)  I assume this hasn't been fixed yet?