[Dovecot] Public folders using NAMESPACE

Joakim Ryden jo at systemadministrator.org
Tue Apr 17 13:48:45 EEST 2007

On Tue, April 17, 2007 2:29 am, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 02:14 -0700, Joakim Ryden wrote:
>> I've been trying to research how to (or if possible at all) implement public
>> folders using the namespace feature on a server with multiple virtual domains.
>> After about an hour of looking around I'm a little confused. :)
>
> Did you read this? http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes
>
> I now added a link there from ACL page.

Thanks Timo! That's pretty helpful. I think I'm still missing something though.
I have the following configuration:

namespace public {
  separator = .
  prefix = Public Folders.
  location = maildir:/var/mailstore/shared-folders/%d/Maildir
}

namespace private {
  separator = .
  prefix =
  inbox = yes
}

With this, "Public Folders" shows up (testing with Thunderbird) but not as an
italic special folder (does that make sense?) as it does on all other accounts I
have on other servers which support public folders. I created a folder here:

/var/mailstore/shared-folders/domain.com/Maildir/.Announcements

which also shows up nicely, I can copy email in there and subscribe and
unsubsribe to this subfolder, but clicking on "Public Folders" gives: Mailbox
doesn't exist: Public Folders. which I'm sure is because I've missed or
misunderstood something :)  Any ideas?

Cheers!

--Jo