[Dovecot] 1.0.rc29 released

Dan Price dp at eng.sun.com
Thu Apr 5 04:35:27 EEST 2007

On Fri 30 Mar 2007 at 06:07PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> http://dovecot.org/releases/dovecot-1.0.rc29.tar.gz
> http://dovecot.org/releases/dovecot-1.0.rc29.tar.gz.sig
>
> Probably one more RC after this.

Hey all-- for those interested in deploying 1.0rc29, I just wanted to
report that I deployed 1.0.rc29 Monday evening and it has been
absolutely rock solid for the past 48 hours: zero core dumps, and I have
fielded no significant complaints in the past two days.  At this moment
we have 220+ processes in our dovecot deployment serving 103 users.

We did a little measurement and it's nice to see that dovecot is very
resource efficient; here is an aggregated view of all of the dovecot
processes we are using:

PROJID    NPROC  SWAP   RSS MEMORY      TIME  CPU PROJECT
   100      221  179M  196M   0.6%   2:22:24 0.2% imap
                       ^^^^

So my runtime RSS per User is about 2MB.  Wow.  (In recent Nevada builds
we've refined prstat's ability to correctly measure RSS for projects,
zones, etc. so this number should be pretty accurate).

We're still working on debugging why our Kerberos setup isn't working--
Thanks to Timo we have auth_gssapi_hostname, but we're still not quite
there... our Kerberos engineers are looking into it.

I've gotten a lot of compliments about how stable and fast our setup is
compared with the old deployment-- those really should go to Timo.  Thanks!

        -dp

--
Daniel Price - Solaris Kernel Engineering - dp at eng.sun.com - blogs.sun.com/dp