[Dovecot] Suggestion: mod_auth_dovecot

David Anderson dovecot at dw-perspective.org.uk
Mon Apr 2 16:17:09 EEST 2007

On Monday 02 Apr 2007, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Yep. And nss_dovecot, libsasl.so compatible replacement for Cyrus
> SASL, etc. :)
>
> I'm not really interested in learning PAM/NSS internals though. I'm
> willing to help anyone who wants to implement them though.

Would you be interested in including with dovecot a binary that does
authentication using the dovecot socket?

Something that:
* takes username/password on two lines on STDIN
* exits with a status code to indicate success/failure
* (+ logs to syslog, and has a short delay on failure to prevent abuse).

Such a binary could then be used out-of-the-box by all kinds of programs
using the glue that already exists. e.g. For Apache there are various
modules that can run external binaries to get the decision. Indeed,
such a binary as I apply above would work unmodified with
mod_auth_shadow (as it uses precisely the protocol I describe above).

David

--
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of
God unto salvation to every one that believes; to the Jew first, and