[Dovecot] Re: OS X-centricities? Too many files, temp, indexes, etc...

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Mon Mar 27 21:24:14 EEST 2006

We're an ISP with approximately 9000 email customers.  Up until early
in January our primary mail servers ran on OS X, with exim as the MTA
and courier-imap as the pop/imap server.

We had continual problems with courier on OS X.  The load it
generates on the machine is horrible.  You'll get absolutely no help
from the courier mailing list or developers with OS X issues.

When we started evaluating Dovecot, we first attempted it on OS X,
however we were unable to get it running in an NFS environement on OS
X in any sort of stable manner.

I can't recommend highly enough getting off of OS X if you can for
mail services.  We went to Red Hat machines, and they have been
amazingly stable and reliable.  I love OS X, and use it for other
things, but it makes a bad mail server at least for the volume of
mail we process.

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator