[Dovecot] How to achieve: Automove of mails

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Mon Mar 27 16:49:56 EEST 2006

Dear All,

I was wondering if this is possible:

I am using namespaces to support my environment which has legacy mboxes
and new maildirs.

In it looks like:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
   prefix =
   location = maildir:/home/virtual/%d/home/%n/Maildir/
}
namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = mail2/
   inbox = yes
   hidden = yes
   location =
mbox:/home/virtual/%d/home/var/spool/mail/%n:INBOX=/home/virtual/%d/var/spool/mail/%n
}

This basically means that there is a hidden inbox "mail2/INBOX" that the
  user cannot see but which can referenced and accessed.

What I would like is for Dovecot to automatically move all mail
(actually only as much as possible within quota limits) in "mail2/INBOX"
  into "/INBOX" whenever INBOX is checked/expunged.

An alternative acceptable solution is to have something that moves mail
once it has read. I would then symlink mail2/INBOX as a "New mail"
folder. Once user's read their mail it is moved to the standard /INBOX
folder.

Are either of the above possible natively or do I need to look at
something like plugins? Incidently where is the documentation guiding
plugin development? I've looked at the website but can't find anything
either by browsing or searching.

Many thanks,
Daniel