[Dovecot] Shared namespaces

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Mar 20 00:51:13 EET 2006

Mark Lidstone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I logged with Thunderbird as user 1 and everything seems to work fine.  However, when I logged in as user 2 I was getting all kinds of errors.  On checking the permissions of /home/public/Maildir/subscriptions it was user1:user1 with mode 600.

Just a thought, but have you tried setting the INDEX location in the
default_mail_env ?  I'm not certain, but I believe the subscriptions file is
included in the INDEX set, and by setting its location elsewhere, you would
prevent it from being inside the Maildir.  This would prevent ownership
hijacking, AND let everyone have their own subscriptions.

I'm not certain of this, so either someone else can fill in the details, or you
could check the source (and please report your findings:)

> To be perfectly honest, I'd ideally like to give people separate subscription settings anyway.  I thought about symlinking the folders in, but that makes it a manual process to add new folders to everyone's maildirs.

Of course, I'm assuming you've read the Wiki (it looks like you have...)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net