[Dovecot] Losing messages

Stian Jordet liste+dovecot at jordet.net
Tue Mar 14 21:32:27 EET 2006

Hi,

I have been running dovecot cvs happily for.. well.. very, very long
now. Don't remember when I switched from 0.99, but it was back in the
test-days, long before the alpha's. Anyway, it seems to have been
working very well all the time. But recently three of my clients have
claimed to have lost mail when moving from Thunderbird. I even
experienced it myself once. I'm using Evolution 99% of the time, and
have never seen any problems with that - but that doesn't mean the
problem only occurs with Thunderbird. When moving mail from one folder
to another, everything seems fine, except that the mail isn't in any
folder anymore. It _seems_ related to this:

Mar 14 14:46:53 buick dovecot: imap(larsmj): Fixed index file /home/larsmj/Maildir/.Junk/dovecot.index: first_recent_uid_lowwater 40 -> 36
Mar 14 14:46:53 buick dovecot: imap(larsmj): Corrupted index file /home/larsmj/Maildir/.Junk/dovecot.index: Duplicate header extension keywords

But I'm not sure. Either way I get these lines rather often for some
users. What does it mean? Anyone seen anything like it? I really don't
like the idea of losing clients mail... I hope someone can shed some
light on this.

Best regards,
Stian