[Dovecot] Shared maildir through namespace help...

Brice Figureau brice+dovecot at daysofwonder.com
Tue Mar 14 16:05:39 EET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:25 +0100, Luigi Rosa wrote:
> On Tue, March 14, 2006 12:13, Brice Figureau wrote:
> > Now, to the point, I got a request (from marketing) to share a lot of
> > maildirs between two (and possibly more) accounts. Those two accounts
> > have differents uid/gid. The maildirs are actually in one of the
> > account.
>
> Why not just create a marketing account with its own username/pasword and
> configure each mail client that needs to access that account with two
> accounts: the user account and the (possibly IMAP) account of marketing?

That's finally what I'll do.

I came close to the (perfect) solution by playing with umask,
namespaces, INDEX and CONTROL, unfortunately as there is no imap ACLs,
every user could see the new namespaces (even if unix permissions
prevented them to get the mail contents).

I also tried the symlink approach, but it globally failed as right now,
users are using '.' as the folder separator (not the filesystem /), so
I'd had to symlink every subfolder from the shared Maildir to the user's
Maildirs, and moreover those users wouldn't have the possibility to add
new folders (without my help).

Anyway, thank you for the idea.
--
Brice Figureau <brice+dovecot at daysofwonder.com>