[Dovecot] Rootless configuration

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Tue Mar 14 00:06:47 EET 2006

James Davis wrote:

> Any ideas? My rather small and basic configuration file is as follows...

I'm slowly getting somewhere, I ran strace -f on dovecot and found that
it was having problems accessing the log file I specified. I've
corrected that and now the logs are showing errors, specifically...

dovecot: Mar 13 22:02:10 Error: auth(default): No user databases set
dovecot: Mar 13 22:02:10 Error: child 3698 (auth) returned error 89
dovecot: Mar 13 22:02:10 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down

Any ideas? I can't seem to grasp why. My authentication configuration is
as follows...

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/etc/passwd
  }
  user = jamesd
}

Thanks,