[Dovecot] Rootless configuration

James Davis jamesd at jml.net
Mon Mar 13 14:45:58 EET 2006

I'm trying to setup a rootless configuration so I can better manage the
e-mail that comes to the mailbox of a unix account I have. I've
successfully compiled Dovecot and followed the instructions for a
rootless configuration, tweaking my config until Dovecot returns no
errors.  However I've got to a stage where upon running
~/..../sbin/dovecot it just quits with no server running and no errors.
Any ideas? My rather small and basic configuration file is as follows...

# Base directory where to store runtime data.
base_dir = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/run/

# Protocols we want to be serving:
protocols = imap
listen = *
ssl_disable = yes

log_path = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/logs/
info_log_path = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/logs/

## Login processes

login_dir = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/run/login
login_chroot = no
login_user = jamesd

## IMAP specific settings

protocol imap {
  listen = *:10143
}

## Authentication processes

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /home/jamesd/imap/dovecot/etc/passwd
  }
  user = jamesd
}

Many thanks,