[Dovecot] Install/configure on FC4 with maildir and mysql

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Mar 9 00:12:02 EET 2006

Netlink Tech wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a FC4 x64 server that I am configuring/testing.
>
> It had dovecot 0.99 loaded after I did a yum update.
> That worked great with mbox, the passwd file, and test users in
> /home/users/username.

Many people will recommend you update to 1.0beta3 (or later) if at all possible.
  Especially if you're going to be using MySQL.

> I would like to be able to authenticate virtual users by
> 'username at domain.com' and have them be able to use squirrelmail or
> Outlook/Outlook Express to access their email.
> Users have no reason to have a login (shell) account on this machine.
> I also would like to use the maildir format for performance.

Fairly common setup.  Many people on this list are running the same sort of thing.

> I also have hundreds of users currently on a RH9 mail server using
> qpopper in mbox format, hashed mail spool.
>
> Questions:
> 1)Is a mysql database the best way to support "user at domain.com" email
> users? (they don't have any reason for a shell account on this machine)

If you already have MySQL installed, then yes.  If you don't, and you upgrade to
1.0b3, you may want to consider using SQLite for the database.  It's much
smaller, lighter, and, in many cases, faster!

> 2)What version of dovecot should I be using?
> I prefer RPMs and at
> http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-February/011467.html I found
> http://fedora.ivazquez.net/yum/4/x86_64/RPMS.alternatives/dovecot-1.0-0.iva.4.beta3.x86_64.rpm

Well, that looks like 1.0b3, if I'm reading it right.  This is the currently
recommended best choice.

> I installed this and then configured procmail for maildir delivery.
> I configured dovecot-sql.conf for mysql driver...but the mysql driver
> does not appear to be compiled in this rpm.

This is not uncommon.  Otherwise the base dovecot package would require MySQL,
Postrges and SQLite to be installed as dependencies.

> 3)Anyone have any general tips on how to configure such a beast?

Have a look through the Wiki, and the archives of this mailing list.  This is a
very common setup, so there are many discussions about it.

Once you're done, perhaps you'd feel like writing up some notes and hints for
the Wiki?

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net