[Dovecot] Special treatment of ~/mail directory

David A. Lee dlee at calldei.com
Wed Mar 8 19:46:48 EET 2006

Oh thats funny ! this is the #1 reason I switched from UW-IMAP TO  Dovecot
so I could put mail in ~/Mail WITHOUT having to set the Root Folder option
on the client ...
too many people (well everyone, even the ones I told how to do it right)
were getting it wrong
and would switch mail clients and forget to add ~/Mail or use ~/mail or
~\Mail or ~Mail\ or various other
bastardazations and leave mailboxes all over ...

Thank you Timo for doing this one RIGHT ...
(that is, let me configure it).

Oh the other thing I discovered, probably obvious to everyone else but not
to me at first.
Those INDEX files ... they really confused some mail programs like
squirrelmail ... and my PPC IMAP client.
so I put them somwhere else    :INDEX=/var/spool/mailindex/%u
very nice feature

> would it be possible not to treat ~/mail specially and not to add
> mailboxes in the directory automatically? It would make migrating from
> IMAP-UW easier.

Well, how about:

default_mail_env = mbox:%h:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

That should make it compatible with UW-IMAP.