[Dovecot] LMTP revisited

Timothy White dovecot.user at weirdo.bur.st
Sat Jun 17 14:01:49 EEST 2006

On 6/17/06, Jakob Hirsch <jh at plonk.de> wrote:

> > need for it.  Specifically, I'd love an LMTP-enabled LDA that uses hard
> > links when when delivering the same message to multiple recipients (I'm
> > thinking Maildir files), as it would be a nice way to facilitate so-called
> > Single Instance Storage.
>
> Don't know if dovecot's storage API allows that. It would be a nice
> thing, but there are implications (e.g. quota) and the overall advantage
> is not that big, so I don't think it'd be worth the hassle.

It some instances, the advantage is great. Quota shouldn't be
affected, depending on what quota methods you use. This is something I
really want, as I know we will be mailing large numbers of our users,
the same message, which goes to an alias, that expands to each user.
Atm, there are plans for a 'runner' to handle these mailings, but if
dovecot-lda will do this hardlinking magic, then I don't need to write
a runner!

(P.s. I don't know much about LMTP, so can't put a vote in, until I
understand it better)

Tim
--
Linux Counter user #273956