[Dovecot] LMTP revisited

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Sat Jun 17 12:01:42 EEST 2006

Quoting Glenn Leavell:

> I'd like to put in a vote for LMTP, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a

Seconded. I think it's The Right Thing.
I'm thinking for a while now about the possibility of a plugin in
dovecot itself, not some (semi-)external program, that listens to a unix
or tcp socket for lmtp connections, so there's no overhead for fork/exec
 etc. Don't know if that's possible with the current plugin interface,
though, and I myself will not be able to look into that in the near
future, let alone casting it into working code. (additionally, right now
I have no real need for that right now...)
I'd not need the sieve stuff (my MTA is already doing that), but it
should be able to put the message into a subfolder (e.g. with
user+subfolder at domain).

> need for it.  Specifically, I'd love an LMTP-enabled LDA that uses hard
> links when when delivering the same message to multiple recipients (I'm
> thinking Maildir files), as it would be a nice way to facilitate so-called
> Single Instance Storage.

Don't know if dovecot's storage API allows that. It would be a nice
thing, but there are implications (e.g. quota) and the overall advantage
is not that big, so I don't think it'd be worth the hassle.