[Dovecot] dovecot.index.log.2 needed?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 26 22:32:17 EET 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 10:10 -0500, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Hi,
>     I just discovered a whole lot of dovecot.index.log.2 files
> in people's .imap folders?  Are these files needed in the long
> term?  Or can they be zapped if they are more than X days old?

dovecot.index.log files get renamed to dovecot.index.log.2 files when
they're full (current logic is >= 128kB and created over 5 mins ago). If
there are multiple connections to the same mailbox and it's getting
heavily changed, the .log.2 may be useful for an IMAP session that
hasn't synchronized the changes for a while.

If Dovecot loses changes from log file, it gives "Transaction log got
desynced for index" error and closes the connection (actually this error
used to be called "Missing transaction log file" or something similar).
It's in my TODO that Dovecot should be able to handle this situation by
just comparing old dovecot.index and new dovecot.index and figuring out
the differences itself, but that's not yet implemented..

Anyway, in practise I think you can delete all the .log.2 files whenever
you wish and you won't see any problems. If you want to be extra
careful, you can delete them after they're 30 minutes old. After that
they're of no use for anything. I suppose Dovecot could also do that
itself when opening mailbox.