[Dovecot] Support for Kmail maildir format

Graham Cobb g+dovecot at cobb.uk.net
Thu Jan 26 19:35:47 EET 2006

Has anyone looked into providing support in dovecot for Kmail folders?  I
would like to make my Kmail folders (on my main desktop system) available to
my other systems (including over a VPN when I am travelling).  Kmail is my
main mail program and I have a lot of mail in a lot of folders, so I don't
want to set up a separate IMAP service and move all the mail and folders.

Kmail's use of maildir seems to folow the basic maildir approach except that
sub-folders are handled differently.

If you create a folder (say it is called ABC) in Kmail and start putting mail
in it, Kmail creates a directory on the disk called ABC (not .ABC) and
creates the cur, new and tmp folders within it to contain the email.

If you then create a subfolder of ABC (say it is called DEF, contained within
the ABC folder), Kmail creates a directory on the disk called .ABC.directory
and creates the DEF directory within that.

In other words, maildir directories are given the same name as the mail folder
(with no leading dot) but sub-folders are contained in disk directories
called .<folder-name>.directory.

I have taken a quick look at the dovecot code and am fairly sure this could be
handled by a variant on the existing maildir code (e.g. by changes to
maildir_fill_readdir and other routines).  Has anyone tried this?

Graham