[Dovecot] Making dovecot and postfix play together

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Thu Jan 26 09:03:59 EET 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I was advised to put
> 'MAIL=/home/$USER/MailDir:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/$USER'
> into /etc/profile 'because that's the way that dovecot likes it'.  Is
> this correct?  I'm using 0.99.14 on Fedora Core 4.

Well, putting Dovecot beside there will be no other program that handles
this type of MAIL= setting, hence, if you have at least one program
reading that environment variable (may be postfix :), you have
misconfigured it.

I would keep my hands off MAIL=, but configure Dovecot by its .conf file
(default_mail_env). This, however, means that you must maintain redundant
data.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser