[Dovecot] Login user doesn't exist: dovecot

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Fri Jan 20 19:16:18 EET 2006

> On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 22:37, Willem Riede wrote:
>>
>> Now that you're running Fedora you should use a RPM to install
>> dovecot. I can help you with that by getting you my working beta1
>> src.rpm to rebuild, if you like.

I personally have to disagree with this sentiment.  While I do
happily use RPM packages some of the time, when I am running business-
critical applications like email servers, web servers, database
servers and the like, I _always_ compile from source.

Why?  Because I want to know exactly how the binary was built.  I
want to know that it's specifically compiled for my particular
machine.  I've had too many weird problems with RPM packages - and
DEB packages for that matter - that proclaimed themselves to be i586
or i686 when in fact they were i386.

What it really comes down to is not always trusting a third-party
package maintainer.  I know there are lots of good packages out
there, but I'm responsible for my systems, and I have to fix them
when they break, and explain to my boss why no one could get their
email for 3 hours.

Roger Weeks