[Dovecot] POP3 only - why is cur/ growing?

Wally Winchester wally_winchester at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 5 16:06:24 EET 2006

Thanks for this.

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:05:16 +0000, "Simon Waters" <simonw at zynet.net>
said:
> On Thursday 05 Jan 2006 13:57, Wally Winchester wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I use Sarge's dovecot for a pop3 mail collection server. IMAP is not
> > used at all. It works well, but I would like to know why one of the
> > accounts also keeps a copy of all e-mail copies in the cur/ folder?
>
> That is "maildir" not "IMAP".

All mailboxes are maildir, but only POP3 is used to collect the mail.
IMAP is not used at all, so I am confused about anything existing in the
cur/ folder.

> maildir is an alternative form of storing email.
>
> At a guess(!) the file name their email would have been stored in,
> already
> existed as a directory, so dovecot is trying to "cope" with an error.
>
> When they empty there inbox, just try renaming the whole folder, and
> sending
> them some email, if it creates an mbox you know what was wrong.

I deleted the cur/ directory, and everything under it (since cur/ holds
mails already downloaded).
A test mail seems to work.

I'll see if it happens again..

--