[Dovecot] duplicate emails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 3 22:04:01 UTC 2006

On 3.12.2006, at 23.42, Sean Kamath wrote:

>>> I recently got a set of duplicate emails (including this one).  I
>>> did
>>> have some connectivity problems late last night, and this I saw in
>>> the log file:
>>
>> And you delete mails from server after downloading?
>
> I'm not.  I mean, that's sort of the point of imap, right? :-) :-)

Uh. I was thinking all the time that you're using pop3 since that's
what started this thread :)

Now, you're having duplicate mails with IMAP? There's really no good
reason for why that would happen, unless the mail is actually
delivered to the mailbox twice, or if the client did something weird,
such as copying the mail elsewhere (eg. Trash) and back..

> The next time I notice it, I'll confirm (again) that it's actually
> duplicated *on the server* and *in the mail spool file* (we use mbox).

It most likely is.

>>> Dec  1 10:42:07 stove dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.error] IMAP
>>> (kamath): X-
>>> IMAPbase uid-last unexpectedly lost in mbox file /var/mail/kamath
>>
>> But why did this happen? Is this 1.0.rc15? Is something else
>> modifying
>> the mbox files also?
>
> Aside from sendmail and the LDA, no, nothing should be modifying
> the mbox file.

Dovecot LDA?

>> If the problem isn't disconnection, then it could be that the UIDs
>> changed, and that could be related to the above error.
>
> Gack.  rc7.  I guess I haven't upgraded in a while.  Frankly, rc7
> has been working so well, and what with the recent spate of
> activity, I've been waiting for things to settle down a bit -- but
> I didn't think I was that far back.

rc9 had this fix:

         - mbox: Fixed a bug causing "X-IMAPbase uid-last
unexpectedly lost
           in mbox file" errors, and possibly others.