[Dovecot] rc15 dumped core

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Dec 3 15:29:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 16:09 +0100, Hans Morten Kind wrote:
>  12:27:00 [local3.error] IMAP(USER):
>    Corrupted index cache file imapindex/USER/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.cache:
>     invalid field header size
>  12:28:23 [local3.error] IMAP(USER):
>    mremap_anon(1164206080) failed: Not enough space

Hmh. I don't really get how this is possible. Or do you use 32bit file
offsets instead of the 64bit (which should be default)? Running
configure outputs that at least.

I added anyway a couple of extra checks, but with 64bit file offsets
these shouldn't happen, since only 32bit offsets are ever passed to the
functions:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-December/006995.html

And BTW. the mail process sizes are by default limited to 256MB virtual
memory, so that's why it gave "not enough space" error. Except it should
have given ENOMEM, not ENOSPC, but that's probably some Solaris thing.

> The messages from 'mremap_anon' have never been seen before.
> Actually '1164206080' looks very much like a timestamp, differing
> 75223 seconds from the time of the crash ... spooky

Yes, it is..

> I will start running the supplied code for memory debugging on this
> user and I enclose a back trace from the crash.

I don't think it will help. Probably something in the cache file is
treated as a file offset/size and somehow in a way I can't see right now
it gets passed to file_cache_read().

As for why broken cache files are seen, I guess you're using NFS and
multiple machines can access the same user's mailbox? So some cache
inconsistency problems probably..

> The interessting stuff from the back trace is probably that hdr (and
> so cache->hdr) is 0xffffffff so that hdr->continued_record_count
> gives no sense (Cannot access memory at address 0xb) but
> cache->index->map->records_count is 320

This is fixed now:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-December/006998.html