[Dovecot] dovecot tring to load sql modules

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 14 01:05:54 EEST 2006

On 13.8.2006, at 23.15, Axel Thimm wrote:

> No, it's not packaging limitations, it's how dynamic linking works, so
> if you like it's limitations in Linux/glibc. And we can't possibly
> have all code in the world do conditionalized dlopening expecting to
> possibly fail due to absent libs.
>
> In the few cases where it makes sense the default dynamic linking
> procedure is put out of place and done manually as you suggest. This
> is mostly done when the additional functionality is built separately
> from the main project, which is not the case here, or when there
> should be no hard dependency between parts for various
> reasons.

Dovecot does support dynamically loading different SQL drivers as
plugins, and I don't really see much reason not to build the binary
packages that way. For some reason no-one has done that though. IIRC
Debian's reason was that they didn't want to bloat their package
count more than necessary.

http://wiki.dovecot.org/CompilingSource

> Manually dlopening libs breaks a lot of other technology like
> prelinking so it's usage is really scarce.

In this case I don't think prelinking is all that useful. Dovecot's
not usually running in a desktop computer so boot up time isn't that
important. Dovecot-auth also is a long running process so the linking
has to be done only at startup.

imap-login and pop3-login would benefit the most from being
prelinked. Is this being done by anyone? :) I'm not actually sure how
it's even done, could/should I do it by default?