[Dovecot] A Couple Of Issues (APOP Causes Auth SIGSEGV, Umask Setting Ineffective)

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Wed Sep 28 15:10:31 EEST 2005

Hi,

I'm very happy with Dovecot and wish the best for its continued
development.  It's a true testament to brilliant componentised design and
Unix philosophy.  Configuration made easy because of the way the file is
parsed and a single point of startup make it ridiculously straightforward
(and lovely) to administer.  But of course, we all already know this ...

I'm sorry that I can't provide traces at the moment, I'm working from an
optimised set of binaries.  (-O3 -march=i586 -fomit-frame-pointer)  GCC
3.4.4, Gentoo X86 2005.0, Linux 2.6.13, Glibc 2.6.5.  Pegasus Mail 4.30B1
is the client on Win32.  Dovecot is still Alpha2 (I will upgrade when
Gentoo has updated their ebuild).  Of course if you advise I'll look at
rebuilding newer versions or patched versions with(out) debug symbols.

1.  When I attempt APOP login of any variety on the POP3 server auth dies
with signal 11.  passwd-file is of course listed as a password database,
alongside shadow.  I get back "-ERR Internal authentication failure -
please try again later." or something like this and all subsequent
authentication in that session won't work (of course, auth is dead).  The
password entry is in /etc/dovecot.secrets (perms=0700,uid=0,gid=0) and
looks like:
username:{PLAIN}cleartextpassword

2.  Umask setting gone strange.  I set it, per example comment, to "7077"
rather than default of 0077 (just to be precise...).  When directories are
subsequently created, user owning it doesn't even get read/write
permissions (just x) and group gets rw but not x!  It has not even to do
with my system umask (022) set by login.  I've set it to 0000 for now in
dovecot (/etc/skel has .mail put in people's homedirs with 0700, so
there's no worry, but of course I'd like to see that one fixed).

If you need more info please let me know.  Hope this is enough.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

- --
If an email tells you to forward it to all your friends, please
temporarily forget that I am your friend.

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 20 88008915
Mobile: +44 7986 053399
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>
Skype: SabahattinGucukoglu
(requires authorisation, add me to your list first)
SpeakFreely: Chalcedony.Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com
(Please use CELP compression if your processor allows)