[Dovecot] web-based mail

Jeff Ballard ballard+dovecot at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 13 21:51:27 EEST 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:04:29 -0400  Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> We used horde based mail until it started having severe browser issues
> with some versions of MS IE
>
> Then we moved to ISMail, which worked until MS patched IE, then it
> broke too
>
> So we had some users on horde and some on ISMail
>
> that was annoying, people kept forgetting what to use
>
> so then we moved to Squirrelmail, which has no features really, other
> than working right
>
> The issues above weren't with horde or ISMail - although I REALLY liked
> ISMail - it was with stupid people internally who didn't keep their
> browsers up to date, and MS for creating new bugs when fixing old ones
>
> i haven't had any issues in almost 2 years of squirrelmail

In the "For what its worth" department, if you have MS IE users and are
providing SSL to them (like say, via https:), you *REALLY* need to know and
understand IE's SSL bustedness with regard to keep-alives and such:

http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC49

Addressing that fixed all the problems I had with IE users a while ago.  Horde
just happens to hit that magic condition a lot with IE.  After turning
keepalives off for MSIE, complaints stopped about Horde not working.

-Jeff