[Dovecot] Dovecot Deliver Problem

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Tue Sep 13 21:36:44 EEST 2005

OpenMacNews wrote:

> and configs of:
>
> **** dovecot.conf ****
>    socket listen {
>        master { path        = /var/Process/dovecot/auth-master
>                 mode        = 666
>        }
>    }
>    login_user                   = mailuser_login
>    login_dir                    = /var/Process/dovecot/login
>

> **** dovecot-deliver.conf ****
>    auth_socket_path             = /var/Process/dovecot/auth-master
>

> starting dovecot immediately results in a couple of 'Warnings':
>
>     % /usr/local/dovecot/sbin/dovecot -c /var/Settings/Dovecot/dovecot.conf
>         Warning: Corrected permissions for base directory
> /var/Process/dovecot
>         Warning: Corrected permissions for login directory
> /var/Process/dovecot/login

As I said, dovecot forces 700 permissions on the login directory at
startup. To workaround that, change the path of your auth-master socket,
e.g. to /var/run (or whatever suits in your OSX). Just make sure that
the user the LDA runs as has at least r-x rights to this directory and
its parents.

Yes, it's me who wrote that. :)

> so, QUESTIONS:
> (1) where's "auth-master"?

Don't know. Are you sure you put this whole "socket listen" thing into
an "auth" section ("auth default" if you only have one).

> (2) and WHICH permissions are the problem?

As the socket should have been created with 0666, it can only be the
directory permissions.

Here are the relevant parts of my dovecot.conf:

auth default {
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /passwd
  }

  userdb static {
    args = uid=103 gid=104 home=/var/spool/vmail/%Lu
  }

  user = dovecot-auth
  chroot = /etc/dovecot

  socket listen {
    master {
      path = /var/spool/vmail/auth-master
      mode = 0600
      user = vmail
      group = vmail
    }
  }

}

and exim.conf:

dovecot_deliver:
  driver = pipe
  user = vmail

and dovecot-deliver.conf:

mail = maildir:%h/Maildir/
auth_socket_path = /var/spool/vmail/auth-master