[Dovecot] Dovecot Deliver Problem

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 13 20:31:45 EEST 2005

hi jakob,

thx for the reply =)

>> 	Sep 12 23:17:30 server deliver:
>> net_connect(/var/Process/dovecot/auth-master.socket) failed: Connection
>> refused
>
> AFAIK, this usually means that there is no process listening on that socket.
>
>>         master { path        = /var/Process/dovecot/auth-master.socket
>>                  mode        = 666
>
> This is not sufficient, as dovecot will set the permissions of
> /var/Process/dovecot/ to 700 (given that this is your login_dir). So I put
> the socket into /var/spool/vmail, where the user that runs the lda has
> sufficient rights.

ok.

with your comment about perms, i started looking into my Process dir a little
deeper.

starting with a 'clean' env:

	% cd /var/Process
	% ls -al dovecot
		/usr/local/bin/ls: dovecot: No such file or directory

and configs of:

**** dovecot.conf ****
    socket listen {
        master { path        = /var/Process/dovecot/auth-master
                 mode        = 666
        }
    }
    login_user                   = mailuser_login
    login_dir                    = /var/Process/dovecot/login

**** dovecot-deliver.conf ****
    auth_socket_path             = /var/Process/dovecot/auth-master

starting dovecot immediately results in a couple of 'Warnings':

	% /usr/local/dovecot/sbin/dovecot -c /var/Settings/Dovecot/dovecot.conf
		Warning: Corrected permissions for base directory /var/Process/dovecot
		Warning: Corrected permissions for login directory /var/Process/dovecot/login

and an original set of dir/file perms of:

% ls -alR dovecot
	dovecot:
	total 4
	drwx------   6 root       wheel              204 Sep 13 10:11 .
	drwxrwxr-x  12 mailuser   mailuser           408 Sep 13 10:11 ..
	srw-------   1 mailuser   mailuser             0 Sep 13 10:11 auth-worker.14226
	drwxr-x---   3 root       mailuser_login     102 Sep 13 10:11 login
	-rw-------   1 root       wheel                6 Sep 13 10:11 master.pid
	-rw-------   1 root       wheel                0 Sep 13 10:11
ssl-parameters.dat

	dovecot/login:
	total 0
	drwxr-x---  3 root mailuser_login     102 Sep 13 10:11 .
	drwx------  6 root wheel              204 Sep 13 10:11 ..
	srw-rw----  1 root mailuser_login       0 Sep 13 10:11 default

and, per the wiki:

"You could also use user = root to make sure that Exim has write access to the
socket, but Exim doesn't allow delivery as root by default (this is a build
time setting and there are good reasons for that). So set the socket owner and
permissions so the user vmail has r/w access."

i've set my exim transport to use user:

	dovecot_lda:
		user                = mailuser

so, QUESTIONS:

(1) where's "auth-master"?

this probly explains the:

	Sep 13 10:20:30 devbox deliver: net_connect(/var/Process/dovecot/auth-master)
failed: Permission denied

(2) and WHICH permissions are the problem?

thx,

richard