[Dovecot] Sub-Folder Query

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Nov 16 04:12:00 EET 2005

Kaan Kivilcim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question in regards to folders/sub-folders with dovecot and
> Microsoft Outlook 2000.
>
> When creating folders if you do not append a "/" to the end of the folder
> name you cannot create sub-folders. Is there any solution/work around so
> that users do not have to append a slash on the end of the folder name?

Sounds to me like you're using mbox storage?  This is a limitation of mbox - a
mailbox cannot contain folders, and folders cannot contain messages.

This is not a limitation Maildir suffers from.

> I would like to use dovecot for about a 50-user IMAP server however adding a
> slash to the end of folder names won't go down well with the users who are
> not the most computer literate people.

I would recommend you try using Maildir.  If you don't want to mess with your
LDA too much, Dovecot 1.0 can read your INBOX as mbox, and local folders as Maildir.

I run Dovecot for approximately 25 users, and even Marketing has had no troubles :P

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net