[Dovecot] Leftover mbox behavior from uw transition

Adam Porter porter at marine.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 15 20:49:40 EET 2005

Currently running dovecot 0.99.12 on a RHEL 3 server.  This system used
to use UW imap with mbox mailboxes, is now using dovecot with Maildir.
(Actual user shell logins are not permitted.)  Performance is
tremendously improved.  However, we still have users that have their
client imap root set to the "mail" or "mail/" directory.  (Can't
reach/change them all easily.)

As a result, people are still (inadvertently) creating/using mbox-style
mailboxes (sent mail folders most often) on the dovecot server (dovecot
of course handles them without complaining) which grow and hurt server
performance.

Now that we've figured this out, I think we could use mb2md in a script
to convert these big mbox files to Maildir.  (Is there a better way?)

But what would be the smart way to prevent people from creating these
mbox files and still have their client work correctly with their imap
root set to "mail"?

We currently use:

default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir

Thanks!