[Dovecot] maildir and /var/spool/mail/$USER

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Fri Jan 28 15:19:55 EET 2005

Rob Campbell wrote:
> I was told to use dovecot because it was easier than cyrus.  I just
> upgraded from fc1 to fc3.  I am not sure what fc1 used but I think it
> was cyrus and it worked perfect out of the box no configurations to do.
> The new cyrus-imapd is not so simple so I got dovecot.  I see examples
> saying to use mbox=~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u but when I try that I
> cannot map mail folders that reside under ~/mail.  I have tried
> default_mail_env = maildir:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u which is the
> setup i have now.  I get this error when trying to connect via evolution
> error while scanning folders in "IMAP server localhost" imap command
> failed. invalid mask.

To get this straight, what you want to do is to use the Maildir format
and store the mail in ~/mail, except that incoming mail is put in
/var/spool/mail/{username} by the mail delivery agent, right?

What mail transport/delivery agent are you using? I myself have simply
default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%u
using Exim as MTA.

--
Magnus Holmgren