[Dovecot] maildir and /var/spool/mail/$USER

Rob Campbell poohba at blkpoohba.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 28 14:02:45 EET 2005

I was told to use dovecot because it was easier than cyrus.  I just
upgraded from fc1 to fc3.  I am not sure what fc1 used but I think it was
cyrus and it worked perfect out of the box no configurations to do.  The
new cyrus-imapd is not so simple so I got dovecot.  I see examples saying
to use mbox=~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u but when I try that I
cannot map mail folders that reside under ~/mail.  I have tried
default_mail_env = maildir:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u which is the setup
i have now.  I get this error when trying to connect via evolution
error while scanning folders in "IMAP server localhost" imap command
failed. invalid mask.

when I use default_mail_env = maildir:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
the error i get is:
This store does not support subscriptions or they are not enabled.  I have
an Inbox Junk and Trash folder under that account.

When I set up outlook as pop3 it says it connects fine but it doesn't
download any mail.  When I try to subscribe to folders via Outlook it says
that it cannot connect.